Excellent for detoxification, nettle is able to increase urine production, helping speedily remove toxins. Nettle contains histamine that blocks the body’s own histamine production, slowly de-sensitising the effects of allergen – drinking nettle tea can be a helpful preparation for hay fever season. Nettle is rich in nutrients, has anti-inflammatory properties and can support the nervous system. Add fresh nettle leaves to soups, stews, ravioli fillings and quiches. The dried leaves can be steeped to make a delicious herbal tea.(1 cup in the evening.)
- Vitamins A, C and K, as well as several B vitamins
- Calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and sodium
- Linoleic acid, linolenic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and oleic acid
- Polyphenols: Kaempferol, quercetin, caffeic acid, coumarins.
- Pigments: Beta-carotene, lutein, luteoxanthin.
What’s more, many of these nutrients act as antioxidants inside your body.