Chicken and Spinach Curry
Protein, Vitamin C. vitamin K Antioxidants Vitamin B3 and B6. Iron.Potassium.Magnesium.Phosphorus. Zinc.Folate.
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 600g chicken pieces, or 1 chicken cut up.
- 1 (400g) tin tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 teaspoon garam masala
- 200g fresh spinach, washed and chopped or Kale
- For the ginger-garlic paste
- 1 part fresh ginger, skin scraped off and chopped(2cm )
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Blitz the ginger and garlic together unto a paste.(you can store this in a sealed clean jar)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces on both sides
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set asides.
- Place the onions into the same pan and cook them until they are soft.
- Add 1 tablespoons of the ginger- garlic paste and fry for 30 seconds
- Add the turmeric, chilli, and garam masala.
- Secret is to add a little water.Stir for a minute or so and let the flavours get stronger.
- Add the tin tomatoes and keep stirring to mix it all together.
- Add the chicken pieces into the curry mixture.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on a high heat and stir the curry occasionally just to check it is not burning or getting dry.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the spinach and bring to the boil again.
- Serve hot with rice or couscous.