HEARTY GREEN RISOTTO
Dietary fibre Vitamin A,E,K,C,B1,B2,B6 Calcium, magnesium potassium and zinc 38g of carbohydrates 4g of protein
- Gluten free : Vegetarian
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (180g) brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 (430g) cups arborio rice
- 150g frozen spinach
- 1250-1500ml vegetable stock
- 300g frozen peas
- 150g (1 small head) broccoli, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup parmesan or 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast for vegan option
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice such as dill or parsley, finely chopped to serve
- Sea salt and black pepper
(1 glass of white wine optional)
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil, onion and garlic, cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add arborio rice and cook a further 2-3 minutes, until rice is lightly golden, stirring frequently (it’s all about a good stir with risotto!)
- Add frozen spinach and 1 cup stock, stir and allow the rice to absorb most of the stock before adding the next cup, repeat until about 1L of stock is used, always stir frequently to stop rice sticking to the base of the pot.
- Add peas, broccoli and lemon zest and about 300ml stock (there is more in ingredient list in case you find yours evaporates too quickly and you need a little extra)
- Stir and cook until peas are defrosted and tender, if you need a touch more stock to loosen it at this stage, then add.(sometimes I add a glass of white wine !)
- Remove from heat, stir through parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and serve with your choice of herbs and a crunchy green salad.