Orange, butternut and poppy seed cake
vitamin C,E and C Magnesium potassium manganese Calcium iron
- 70g rice flour
- 20g Finley grounded oats or oats flour
- 65g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 small butternut squash/ pumpkin
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of poppy seeds
- 2 eggs
- 85g of demerara brown sugar
- Coconut oil for greasing baking tin
- For the glacé icing
- 80g icing sugar
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Juice of 1/4 orange and juice of 1/4 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C.Grease a 450g loaf tin, line the base and sides with baking paper and grease all the surface with coconut oil.
- Sift together the flours, ground almonds, raising agents into a small bowl.
- Peel and coarsely grate the butternut or pumpkin, weigh out 150g.
- Grate the zest of the oranges and Lemon into the butternut mixture, add the lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs and slowly add the sugar until thick and it has doubled in size.
- Add the butternut mixture to the eggs.
- followed by the dry ingredients, then leave for 10 min.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 40 min.
- Once cooked and it has a golden colour remove from the oven.
- Let the cake cool down on a wire rack if you have one.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the poppy seeds and add enough juice to form an icing the thickness of double creamer or if you like it runny ..your choice.
- Pour the icing over the cooled cake and leave for a few minutes before serving, add a few slices of oranges.