Savoury Jewelled Rice
Beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants, B vitamins, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, fiber, and iron.
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 orange
- Knob of coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apricots)
- 400g basmati rice /or brown long grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- Dice the onions and grate the carrots.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife, peel the rind from the orange, slice the rind into thin sticks and set aside
- In a medium size pot, melt the coconut oil over the medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook until fragrant,1 minute, then add the turmeric, bay leaves, cardamom pods, and the cinnamon stick.Stir to coat the oil and fry for another minute.
- Add the onions, carrots, orange zest, and dried fruit.
- Cook until the onions soften about 5 minutes.
- Rince the rice and add it to the pot with 4 cups of water and salt.
- Cover the pot, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook until the water has evaporated about 45 minutes.
- Roast the raw almonds, preheat the oven 150 C. Spread the almonds onto a baking tray and bake until golden brown in colour for about 20 minutes.
- Remove form the oven and let them cool down and then chop them up ready to add to the rice.
- When the rice is ready, remove from the heat.
- Scoop the rice out onto a large serving platter to cool slightly and to prevent the grains from sticking together.
- Sprinkle the herbs, almonds, and pomegranate seeds over the rice.
- Squeeze a few of the lemon wedges over the top of the rice.
- Serve the rice with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to your taste.
- You can serve this with a eggplant or mushrooms, a poached eggs, and cooked lentils or chickpea.